A Proposal to Help Prevent Stagnation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Proposal to Help Prevent Stagnation

Post by HallowedOri on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:24 am

M1:
Active is a property of a member who has made, or voted on, a proposal within 10 days of any given moment.

V1:
(a) A Member may abstain from voting on any proposal.
(b) In general, abstentions do not change the number needed for a simple majority.

V2:
If a proposal has not resolved within 60 hours of it having been posted, any member(s) who are not Active are assumed to have abstained. In this eventuality the proposal will then only require a simple majority of the number of Active members to be enacted.
HallowedOri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Proposal to Help Prevent Stagnation

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:11 am

Let's do a little discussion over this proposal. I'm not entirely sure if these adjustments are necessary, but more importantly, I see them as potentially contradicting some of the IRC. For example, IRC.V.4 stipulates that the Standard Vote Condition "requires a simple majority of Yes votes within one week (7 days) from the day it was proposed," which implies (though certainly doesn't clearly state) that a proposal remains Active beyond 60 hours, in contradiction to V2 here.

One can imagine transmuting all of IRC.V and then adjusting the Standard Vote Condition. That would perhaps be cleaner if not a more demanding and protracted process.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://thenormalgame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HallowedOri on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:26 am

It wouldn't be active if every member votes within 60 hours (see IRC.IV.3.a). I don't think there is a contradiction. This proposal is only trying to impose an additional condition, not an opposing condition. But say someone isn't playing anymore, or cannot play for a while for some reason. Then we would have to wait a week for any proposal to resolve because the IRC states that a proposal is active until every member votes. But if we enact my proposal the game would 'check' any active proposals to, essentially, force an abstention from any person who has not been engaged for more than 10 days. At least, that is the intention.

Edit (Elaboration):

As far as some of it being unnecessary, there are aspects of my proposal that could be eliminated without losing that one kernel of intent--to be able to play the game even if one person, for whatever reason, can't participate. But I think it adds a little bit of structure. Besides, someone had to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by HallowedOri on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Elaboration)
HallowedOri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanky+Stanky on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:32 pm

I don't like the addition of this "Activity Hierarchy."

I think we could quickly have a group of 2 (or fewer - my god!) playing the game by themselves and taunting the less active. Not here, I say! Not this soon!

I also think a proposal that includes this kind of auto-resolve can't go ahead without some additional language. Like some form of notification (as this site doesn't send them out).

I dissent.

Swanky+Stanky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HallowedOri on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:09 pm

The website does send notifications.
HallowedOri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HallowedOri on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:38 pm

To clarify, the proposal only suggests an auto-check, not an auto-resolve. At least not anymore than the resolution after everyone votes is an auto-resolve.

Also, I'm voting no on this proposal.
HallowedOri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geof on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:38 pm

I appreciate the idea of insulating Members who are more apt to engage the Game regularly from draggiefooters, but I'm not sure that a Member pool this size is likely to get bogged down in that way. I'd probably vote for this proposal once the Game has acquired a few more members, but for now, my vote is--

No

Geof

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Geof on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:44 pm

Also, does admin anticipate publishing a proposal record? Or is that a task for whomever?

Geof

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HallowedOri on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:50 pm

Yeah there is a section for resolved proposals. But, as the rules are currently stated, this proposal won't resolve until it gets a vote from every member. That was addressed in this proposal as well, but there is a way to change it without introducing the 'active' member condition. It will require that I transmute, then change. The problem is, the rules say that this proposal has failed but is still active. So I can not at the moment make a new proposal.
HallowedOri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm

I think an argument could be made that the proposal has resolved given that it has failed its pass condition. Certainly we should move ahead on proposals that clarify this point (I'll be putting one in later today), but I think we could consider this resolved as pass/fail may be considered a strict binary, a point that clarifies the language in IRC.V.

Since a majority of players have voted no, it fails, but I will vote yes as a symbolic gesture for the game opening up.

By the way, we can make all proposals with posts that have built in polls. Just scroll to the bottom of the new topic page and fill in the poll tool.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HallowedOri on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Lol, I told you I'm a stickler. I agree that the rules say this proposal has failed, but they also say a Member can have only one active proposal and defines an active proposal as one "that has not been voted on by every Member."

I will argue, however, that this proposal could be considered resolved because all currently registered members of this forum have voted.
HallowedOri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HallowedOri on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Above when I say failed I mean in the sense that it will not be enacted.
HallowedOri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:34 pm

As all currently registered members have voted we will consider this proposal resolved.

FAILS 1-3

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geof on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:59 pm

This post is here to remind me that I'm a duffus.

Last edited by Geof on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geof

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Geof, can you make a new topic with your proposal?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top